Very beautiful and cool!
Kudzu is a non-linear adventure about a man trying to save his mentor from a world-eating plant!
You are Max, the apprentice gardener, who discovers that his mentor, Zoen, has mysteriously wandered into the nearby kudzu field. Dangerous creatures await including snakes, bugs, angry flowers, and numerous other hazards.
Kudzu is a game in development set to be released in 2021 (latest update may have some minor bugs and some graphical issues with the boss) It will be playable in browser, on Game Boy, and on the Analogue Pocket.
- Arrow keys to move or navigate in the menu (D-pad)
- Z to interact (corresponds to A button)
- X to attack once you get the machete (corresponds to B button)
- Enter for menu (corresponds to Start)
- Shift for map once you buy it (corresponds to Select)
The current build gives a taste of the first area of the game (The Kudzu Field.) It is being developed in the GB Studio 2.0 engine. Regular updates will be posted to this project page, so please give feedback and check back often!
- Explore ruined fields, gardens, forests, villas, and mountains.
- Master a variety of gardening tools to clear your path including the machete, hoe, and rake!
- Meet weird and helpful characters!
- Fight the twisted creatures lurking in the kudzu, such as snakes, bugs, rats, snails, and ghosts!
- Solve treacherous puzzles!
- Play Kudzu in browser or on Game Boy (will be distributed as a ROM file compatible with Game Boy emulators and flashable to a Game Boy cartridge.)
- July 17th 2021 update - tons of new content and features!5 days ago
- 12-28-20 Kudzu updateDec 28, 2020
- 12-17-20 Kudzu updateDec 18, 2020
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Looks fantastic and easily my favourite start screen I've seen on a GBS game so far. The book in the library needs a space between andrequire by the way.
Looking forward to playing more of it
Will you make it possible to download the ROM? That would make it easier for me to play
I will after I clean some things up and add some stuff. It got into MAGFest so that should be happening in the next few weeks so that the demo is con-ready :-)
I don't have a select key on my keyboard.
Oops - that was a typo. The Shift key stands in for the Select button when playing on a keyboard.I edited that section of the description so it's correct now.
in gb studio
hay can i use your combat in my game just pls
I've been asked to publish a guide for GB Studio Central, so keep an eye out for that!
Thanks for the feedback! There are 2 save tents where you can save your progress. I'll make sure they show up on the map in future versions of the demo though (the map was a very late addition before a deadline so it's very basic right now.)
I love this! I really enjoy the overgrown jungly vibe. It’s a little hard because you don’t have any invincibility frames. Great graphics too
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah - I'm still working with the "disable collision" scripting function on the player character to sort out how to do better invincibility frames, but that's absolutely on the list (along with making the snakes not turn into pinballs when hit...)